@Chubbinsurance Considering Google Apps?

Insurance firm Chubb Corp. has not started to test either Google or Microsoft's hosted offerings (the latter also includes the coming Web version of Office 2010.) But group CIO Jim Knight says "the whole concept appeals to me."

"Eighty percent of our employees are using 10% of the functionality of Office," he said. "So I could seriously consider Google Apps for 80% of my users, with the other 20% getting the full Office."

Chubb and Travelers Are the Best, but What About the Rest?

The reason why the best property casualty insurance companies report earnings first is the same reason the smartest pupils sit in the front of the class: they’ve done their homework and they’re ready to answer questions. So it came as no surprise that Chubb was early out of the box to report that third quarter earnings had doubled, and Travelers announced the same day that profits had quadrupled.

Meanwhile in the back of the class - where kids are staring into space, texting on cell phones and counting on government bailouts - the scene is not so serene. They haven’t been called upon to recite yet, but a gloomy longer-term picture emerges from what Chubb and Travelers already reported.

The Coming HTML 5 Train Wreck | XML Today

Ambiguity is unfortunately one of the consequences of standards development - the larger the spec and more complex the task at hand, the more potential points need to be nailed down, so a certain level of ambiguity in a working draft simply indicates that it is, well, a working draft. However, HTML 5 is seemingly being pushed inexorably towards recommendation status with most of these ambiguities still intact, with almost no community feedback (beyond the half-dozen or so committee implementers) and with remarkably little rigor being applied to what is, without a doubt, one of the most important potential specifications to emerge from the W3C in a long time.

"We are coming to the end of the information age." ☛ It's Sputnik, Stupid! - Forbes.com

Based on an 80-year economic cycle, we are coming to the end of the information age. The remaining 15 years of the current cycle will produce astounding changes far beyond anything we can now anticipate. However, we should also be looking at what technology will become the basis of next 80-year cycle. Continuing to focus on computers will be like producing buggy whips for horse drawn conveyances when Henry Ford started mass producing the Model T.